About Me

My photo
"Laughter is timeless. Imagination has no age. And dreams are forever." - Disney A happy man, that Disney person. And this is one of my favorite quotes, that's where I find inspiration. Stealing from other people's wisdom, huh? Anyhow, I don't talk about myself at all, if you would like to find out - you'll have to figure out how, on your own... Take a Chance [on Me]!

Monday, February 4, 2013

Traditions from the orient, in real life!

Is any of you aware of those amazing moments we conjure up in our minds while watching movies or reading? Well, I've done this every single time I'd watch Memoir of A Geisha. And mine came true! I wore a KIMONO and got to talk about Geigi (Geisha).

Konichiwa!

To talk about Japan is like discovering a completely different world. It is beyond anything I imagined – until I actually experienced it, it was hard to explain this nation. I had no idea.

The first day in Yokohama was amazing. But the second day was even more amazing. There is no better way to get to know a culture than spending time with locals.  Japanese home stay, one of the best experiences on this voyage so far. I always have to say 'so far' when I write about new places, because I have no idea what's gonna happen….

Okay, so I woke up – everything scheduled and planned. Breakfast, people going about their plans for the day. I had a 10 am appointment, field trip, a Japanese Home Visit. We were gathering at the terminal, and since it is the only place with wi-fi many people were already there way ahead of time. Wi-fi deprivation can be a huge motivator….to be on time! Anyhow, families were coming to take us and show us Japanese culture for a day. The whole day of exploring – and asking questions to an English speaking Japanese – there are not many of them. This lady was Kozue Tomomatsu. She is one of the nicest people I've met, a volunteer, and used to travel as a marine journalist – taking pictures and writing about whales, that was her job. She was to take us (me and two other girls) to the Komori family house where we are going to learn about Japanese traditions and Kimonos!!!! YES, I got to WEAR a Kimono !!!!! We ate, we chatted, we were dressed by Mrs. Komori who told us stories and stories about Kimono. There is Obi which is the waist belt wrapped around and made into a sort of boa in the back. Kimono is of course a representation of a social standing, but what was the most interesting part is that it is not obvious. Only those who know about Kimonos can figure it out. Also, the silk is different – depending on where it is made. Maiko (19-20 years old girl) is the artist – artist of the floating world. She dances, sings and entertains – the rest is shadows. The back of the neck is one of the most seductive parts of her body. After 25th birthday, Maiko becomes Geigi.  I was getting goose bumps every step of the story. Traditionally, they dance the Cherry blossom dance – Myiako-Odori in April. This is one of the things I want to see in the future. It is still an event taking place in Kyoto. Today, Kimono is rarely worn in public – only for special occasions such are birthdays, weddings, etc. All three of us were not even blinking while Kozue was telling her story. Japanese culture is amazing. They are so polite, patient, kind and subtle. That is their key trait I believe – nothing is obvious, nor it stands out. That is what makes it so mystical and unique.

Kyoto is where all the tradition is – and it is where we are headed to after Tokyo!

 

Things just keep unfolding…. I am so happy and I have no idea how to express myself right now. It was just a perfect day. And what made it even more perfect afterwards was Karaoke with 5 amazing friends, Yuki and Sake…. To be continued…..

 

 

First phase of her dressing me!

 

One of many many ribbons – to make my body flat (good luck with that…)

 

Dream in development…….

 

And here it is….

 

 

Japanese traditional instrument.

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment